Your child's reading book level is based on our assessment of their comprehension abilities. Being able to decode the words in the text is only one part of their reading. Once they are able to do this then they can work on reading with expression and on achieving a deeper understanding of the text.
How can I help my child with their reading?
The expectation is that children read at home at least 3 times a week. Reading is an essential part of your child’s learning and progress. Please sign your child’s reading diary to confirm that this is taking place.
You can also help your child to develop their comprehension abilities by asking them questions about the text as you listen to them read.
- What has happened so far?
- Can you predict what will happen next?
- What do you think about the characters?
- Are there any words you don't know?
- How do you think the characters feel?